Artist Books 3.0

Where artists' books and the book arts meet online...

I'm conducting a 10 question survey about chine colle to get an idea of the variety of things people do and where their information came from. It only takes 5-10 minutes to complete and I'm hoping for 100 responses. So even if you don't have extensive experience with it I would really appreciate your input please.
Click Here to take survey
I would also welcome any discussion on chine colle, collage and layered substrates in prints on this discussion. For instance; what papers have you tried for top and bottom layers and do you make your own wheat starch paste?
kind regards and happy printing/book making
Sandra Wright

Views: 259

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Sandra,

I am quite experimental in my printmaking, and although I have heard of Chine Colle, could you please define it for us? I am not sure if what I do is just defined as Collagraph or if sometimes I stray into Chine Colle...... I would like to help you if I can!

Thanks,

Abigail
Hi Abigail
Chine colle is when you use another layer of paper on top of the paper you print on. It needs to be a light weight and fine paper and some papers from Japan and China are very suitable. That is how it got the name chine colle originally. Chine for China and colle for to glue. So if you collage things on to your paper when you make a collagraph print that will be more or less chine colle. Usually the paper is stuck on with a glue that is archival like rice or wheat starch in one action as the print goes through the press. It can be done with relief, etchings, lithos although I haven't attempted them all.
For an etching you lay the chine colle paper on the plate face down then put the glue on the back of the paper, then put the plate and c/c paper on the press and the heavier backing paper over the plate. Make the print and then they are stuck together. You can use small bits or cover the whole plate area. That is it in a tiny nutshell, I hope it hasn't confused you completely. I think i've attached a picture of my etching and copper plate with chine colle digital prints to help explain. Cheers
Sandra

Abigail Thomas said:
Hi Sandra,

I am quite experimental in my printmaking, and although I have heard of Chine Colle, could you please define it for us? I am not sure if what I do is just defined as Collagraph or if sometimes I stray into Chine Colle...... I would like to help you if I can!

Thanks,

Abigail
Attachments:
hmmmm, ok. well maybe i do occasionally (by accident) do this. would you still like me to fill in the survey?
Yes of course I would, the more the merrier. Sounds like you do some interesting things with your collographs. I would love to know more about that too. I haven't tried collagraphs at all and Thank You
cheers
Sandra

Abigail Thomas said:
hmmmm, ok. well maybe i do occasionally (by accident) do this. would you still like me to fill in the survey?
I don't actually use wheat paste but cellulose glue which is archival which is mixed up from crystals. Is this a new one on you?

Helen
I don't actually use wheat paste but cellulose glue which is archival which is mixed up from crystals. Is this a new one on you?

Helen
Apparently glue stick - UHU/Pritt is archival. I find a wet glue squeezes out and affects the printing. I'm usually using chine colle with etching plates, presumably one can use the technique with collograph or any other type of plate
For some reason the survey form wouldn't work for me: About chine colle: I use any thin paper: kozo, awaki, tissue paper, torn out bits of newspaper, printed/photocopied bond paper. Some people like to use the passte in a grren tube but \i find it too wet and prefer to use glue stick
Hi Nicci,
Quite a few people use glue sticks (& pva) from the answers I've received. In the humidity of North Qld we have problems with some glues loosing adhesive powers after a while, so I haven't actually used glue sticks or pva for chine colles, 'cause I'm worried that may happen. But I think I will try and see...I use the green tubes of rice paste, with a bit of water and a big chinese brush usually.
When I checked the link to the survey it appeared to work, thanks for letting me know though, I hope it's working again. Surveymonkey has made a few changes, maybe that was it.
I have learnt that chine colle can be used with intaglio incl. mezzotint, lithography, relief and even screenprints,
so far I've made chine colled ink jet prints and fine papers with etchings and relief (handcarved stamps) for artists' books and prints. What is bond paper? Thanks for attempting the survey and for posting comments here.

Cheers :)

RSS

Advertising and stuff

Available to everyone: Robert Jacks & Printed Matter 

10 September - 24 October 2016

Printed Matter is pleased to announce Available to Everyone: Robert Jacks and Printed Matter, curated by Peter Anderson.

The exhibition presents two connected bodies of material: a survey of artists’ books by Australian painter, sculptor and bookmaker Robert Jacks (1942-2014), and an extensive selection of publications drawn from Jacks’ own collection, many of which were purchased from Printed Matter in the early years of the organization.

--------------------------------------

ADVERTISING on AB3.0

If you are interested in advertising your event, publication  or project here - contact Robert regarding rates.

© 2017   Created by Robert Heather.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service