Artist Books 3.0

Where artists' books and the book arts meet online...

Do you have a website that you sell from? This question has been raised and I'm looking for people to say what they do here please.

I have an Etsy shop. I've had it since January this year and I'm enjoying the experience. I've had 24 sales to date, which I'm happy with. I originally started the shop to sell my gocco prints and added a couple of books to it. Most of my sales have been my books. (I rebind old books of character into high quality unique journals/sketchbooks.) I've sold a few of one artist book there too, but I'm only asking $10 for it. I think all my prices are very low which puts me firmly in that market.

From what I've seen people do sell high price items on Etsy, but they also do a lot of off site marketing to achieve the sales. This marketing is important to get new buyers to visit the Etsy site. Etsy (like eBay) requires you to have a username and login in order to buy.

The reasons I've enjoyed my Etsy experience are -
* low cost
* I have complete control
* Etsy actively fosters a great community spirit
* small time outlay for the results
* I already had a blog and a small following there which flowed on

Views: 58

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I've got a website which lists my books and offers ways that people can buy them directly from me, including Paypal, but what I'd really like to have on my website is a shopping-cart system. Does anyone have opinions of which ones are good & easy to manage?

I thought about an Etsy shop, but my fine press books are a bit steep in price for that venue, I think. How do the fees for Etsy compare with Paypal?
Do you know what other sites there are to sell books?
Jan
good that you eventually started this site in the name I suggested. thanks. I was travelling for a bit. I am updating my website from my former life business to the new version of my arts business, that will focus more on my books and prints. the system I have now has worked well for me for many years. All devised in a life before Paypal etc.
I have started to use my own website to seel from using paypal. Its fairly easy to set up. But to be honest I have neglected my website recently....

www.abigailthomas.co.uk
jan
i'm just starting out with etsy so i'll probably be asking you some questions of that's alright. i put my name all together in lower case but wish i'd done it with both cases all run together. i may just start another shop a nd name before it get into it. it seems tha tyou can't change it at all.
Yes Judy, just start another shop now. It is actually quite important to have the right name, which of course I learned too late. Can I suggest you also consider adding a keyword as well eg JudyBourkeBooks. That way buyers will know what they are in for at the outset and your name won't be overlooked as a possibility if there is an explicit name next to yours in a list etc. It also helps your google searches ie. people will find you more easily. I this us Aussies are a little predisposed to using our names as our brand thanks to the subliminal influence of Dick Smith Electronics. I have noticed on Etsy people brand their shops with a name that is not their own. I am still undecided as to which is the best alternative. So in that case you could also consider using a 'studio' name or 'bindery' name or... you're creative! have a think! I hope this helps!
Cheers,
Jan

judy bourke said:
jan
i'm just starting out with etsy so i'll probably be asking you some questions of that's alright. i put my name all together in lower case but wish i'd done it with both cases all run together. i may just start another shop a nd name before it get into it. it seems tha tyou can't change it at all.
Another great place to sell your artist books is www.artistbooknews.com This site is for artist books only, so it is very focused. You can buy a page to promote your book and all sales are direct to you. Sell with established names in the world of artist books!

This site is related to the Artist Book News, a commercially printed 4 page color newsletter was created to target an international market niche that many book artists find difficult and very expensive to reach. The target market includes public and private artist books and special collections, in public, museum, college, and university libraries world wide, and it is a lucrative market of educated artist books buyers. 

Jill (jtimm@aol.com)
www.artistbooknews.com
www.mysticalplaces.com

Hi, I know this is a thread from a few years back, but I'm wondering how you are doing selling artist books on Etsy these days, Jan? Or are you still selling them there? I have an Etsy store to sell journals, but wasn't sure whether it would be a good venue for artist books or not.

If anyone is looking for a good website host, I use OtherPeoplesPixels -- you can see my website here:

http://barbarasimler.com/home.html

It has lots of good features, and is easy to use -- I'm not much of a techie, and didn't have any trouble setting up my website. I've had it for about a year now, and I'm really happy with it so far. It has a shopping cart feature --You can set it up to take Paypal payments.

RSS

Advertising and stuff

Available to everyone: Robert Jacks & Printed Matter 

10 September - 24 October 2016

Printed Matter is pleased to announce Available to Everyone: Robert Jacks and Printed Matter, curated by Peter Anderson.

The exhibition presents two connected bodies of material: a survey of artists’ books by Australian painter, sculptor and bookmaker Robert Jacks (1942-2014), and an extensive selection of publications drawn from Jacks’ own collection, many of which were purchased from Printed Matter in the early years of the organization.

--------------------------------------

ADVERTISING on AB3.0

If you are interested in advertising your event, publication  or project here - contact Robert regarding rates.

© 2017   Created by Robert Heather.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service